All you need to know about the Windows 8.1 Preview
Windows is one of the most popular Operating Systems from the house of Microsoft. It has had a steady fan-base of dedicated Windows users, ever since the first Windows-based OS was released in 1985. With a number of upgrades and several enhancements later, the big word in this genre is the name of Windows 8, the latest and by far the best offering from Microsoft. If you are a satisfied Windows 8 user yourself and are interested in knowing the latest happenings in this domain, you have interesting information here.
Introduction to Windows 8.1
Yet to hit the stores, it is expected only later this year; Windows 8.1 is a free update to Windows 8 and offers you great ways in which you can personalize your Windows 8 PC to better suit your needs and requirements. The Windows 8.1 Preview version is already available and you can try it out now! Some of the highlights included in the Preview version are:
- Your search results are accumulated and displayed not just from your stored files in the hard disk; it reflects information from the installed apps and the web, besides your PC, Clearly you can enjoy ‘the more the merrier’.
- You can better explore the Windows Store now as the new look facilitates you to search and download new apps in a faster and convenient manner.
- You have one-click access to almost every app in your Windows 8.1 preview version – photo editing, arranging your Start Screen, saving articles in the Reading List – you can do it all in just a few clicks.
Windows 8.1 upgrade
As a Windows 8 user, Windows 8.1 upgrade should be at all difficult for you. To do it,
- Meet the minimum requirements (mentioned below)
- Backup your Windows 8 files
- Finalize whether you want to use the Windows Store to download the version or install in from the .ISO file
If you have to install the Preview version that doesn’t have Windows 8 installed, you can still go ahead with it by using the .ISO disk image file of Windows 8.1.
The minimum requirements are:
- 1 GHz processor or faster
- 1 GB RAM (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit) or more
- 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit) hard disk space
- Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
Windows 8.1 compatibility
Windows 8.1 Preview is only a preview version, therefore, be prepared to face a technical snag here and there as it still isn’t as equipped as a released version is. However, the regular Windows compatibility updates that are released by Microsoft are of immense help and surely add up to reducing errors and issues that you may encounter while Windows 8.1 Preview.
Windows 8.1 for the Enterprise
If you are an entrepreneur, you will find it amazing to use the Windows 8.1 preview version as it has exclusive features, just for you. Here you get to use some of the best tablets meant specifically for business. Features that you can look out for are:
- Advanced user interface
- Better collection of apps and superior managing facilities
- Direct boot to desktop option
- Improved mouse and keyboard navigation
- NFC-based ‘tap to pair’ with enterprise printers and other Windows-based devices
- Robust security cover
If you are an advanced user and like experimenting with software, upgrades, reinstalls, backups and more, setting up the Windows 8.1 Preview version is definitely a sure thing for you to do.