How to create new drive partition in windows 8.1?
Creating a new drive or partitioning on the hard disk of Windows 8.1-based PC is surely a way to keep the data secure from getting infected and lost. Also, it is one of the best ways of managing files and documents.
In simpler words, disk partition is about dividing the hard disk into multiple units or small disks. By partitioning the disk, it becomes easier to separate your operating system from the data. Also, since your data will now be stored in different locations, if one of them fails or crashes, at least you will have the data stored in the other drives safe.
Here are the steps to create a new drive or partition in Windows 8.1:
- Move your mouse cursor to bottom left of the ‘Start’ screen, and then right click there.
- Click ‘Run’ on the menu.
- Type ‘diskmgmt.msc’ in the run box, and then click ‘OK’.
- On the ‘Disk Management’ window, right-click on the drive you want to shrink, and then select ‘Shrink Volume’.
- Enter the amount of space to shrink, and then click ‘Shrink’.
- Right click on the new partition display, and then select ‘New Simple Volume’ on the menu.
- Follow the instructions appearing on your screen and when you are through, click ‘Finish’ to create a new drive on your PC.
This is how you can create a new drive or a partition on your Windows 8.1-based PC. Did you follow these steps and to create a new drive? Aren’t you feeling relaxed that you have minimized the losses, in case of an eventuality on your PC? You sure must be feeling that way. To enjoy a quick recap of the above steps, here is a short solution video that you can check out.