Explorer.exe Crashes in windows 8.1
Why Explorer.exe Keeps Crashing in Windows 8.1 – Steps to Fix?
Do you encounter issues related to frequent occurrences of explorer.exe crash? This is a very common issue with Windows 8.1 users that they encounter while opening a specific file, folder or even a particular drive. This issue may occur while working with any application or program. The issue may also flash when you start up your Windows 8.1 PC with a small window containing a yellow warning sign and OK button. On account of different situations in and reasons for this explorer.exe crashing issue pop up on Windows 8.1 platform, there are different ways you can fix this issue.
Common fixes of explorer.exe crashing issues
One method of solving this issue is using Event Viewer option. Event Viewer is a built-in utility that provides in-depth information on events that play key role in resolving this issue. As soon as you switch on your PC, all programs and services register notifications to the event viewer. This program notification is also reported while you shut down the PC and as your PC pops up an error. If you have an administrator account, you can access logs of event viewer to search for the root cause of any problem. To solve this explorer.exe crashing issue, event viewer can be a useful tool since it gives access to detailed information on what is causing this error. Follow these steps to solve this problem with Windows 8.1 using event viewer.
- Click ‘Start’ > go to ‘Run’ > and click ‘eventvwr.exe’. Or else, you can right-click ‘My Computer’, click ‘Manage’, find ‘System tools’ at the right side and click ‘Event Viewer’ under it.
- Next, expand ‘Event Viewer’
- Find and select ‘Windows Log’ and select ‘Application Log’.
- Next, find error logs and focus on the latest error which is associated with explorer.exe crash.
- There you will find “Faulting Module Path :” wherein the faulty application will be reported.
The application stated with module path could be corrupted and caused the issue of explorer.exe crashes. Hence, you can simply uninstall the application to fix explorer.exe crashing issue in Windows 8.1.
Change registry key
Another method of fixing this issue is to modify the ‘load’ registry key. The explorer.exe crashing issue could result from a wrong data registered in the ‘Load’ registry. The ‘Load’ is the tool where startup commands of some programs are stored in order to begin the process; and those commands are run as Windows 8.1 system boots. Usually inaccurate commands could be loaded by Trojan or virus intrusion or when a corrupt startup application loads. Hence, you can change or delete the ‘Load’ commands to fix the issue. Follow these steps to change the instructions:
- Press Windows and R keys to access ‘Run’
- Type in “regedit”
- Press Enter key
- Under ‘Registry Editor’, select ‘View’ tab
- Select ‘Permissions’
- Make sure you have administrator or full control to be able to make changes to registry
- Click to expand ‘HKEY_CURRENT_USER’ in the left panel
- Click Software > Microsoft > Windows NT > CurrentVersion
- Select ‘Windows’ and highlight it
- Double-click ‘Load’ in the right pane
- 11. Go to ‘Value data’ and delete all the data
- 12. Click ‘OK’ and restart your Windows 8.1 system.
And you are done. Thus, you can troubleshoot and fix explorer.exe crashing issue on Windows 8.1 PC.