How to set up a HomeGroup Network in Windows 8.1 Pro Preview?
A HomeGroup network is a convenient way of sharing PC peripherals such as printers, scanners, and others and also files and folders within the group. If there is a particular audio or video file that you would like to share with your family members or you have one printer installed i
n the household, you needn’t send a mail to the others to share the file nor do you need to log in from one particular PC to be able to use the installed printer. The HomeGroup feature will help you to do all the sharing tasks in an easy manner and that too in a jiffy. However, to be able to use this feature, you need to set up the HomeGroup network first.
Here are the easy steps that you can use to set up the network:
- Move the mouse cursor to the top right corner of the ‘Start’ screen and it will display the Charms menu.
- Click on the ‘Settings’ charm, and then click on ‘Change PC Settings’.
- On the left pane, click ‘Network’ and then click ‘HomeGroup’.
- In the HomeGroup section, click on the ‘Create’ button.
- It will create a HomeGroup on your computer and you can also configure the settings the way you want.
- To allow others to join your HomeGroup, give them the password displayed at the bottom of HomeGroup section.
You can add more members to the HomeGroup and also restrict the access for already existing members. Although a HomeGroup is very beneficial, it can also be vulnerable to e-threats and hackers. Therefore, closely guard the password to the network and regularly change it to keep it safe.
For now, here is a short video that you can check out. To watch it now, click on the video link below: