Microsoft playing Santa Claus, giving Windows 8 devices to employees
Microsoft has virtually re-invented itself this year – new Windows 8 operating system, new server OS, new Microsoft Office suite, new mobile platform, new tablet hardware, and a new company logo. To promote its upcoming products, the tech giant plans to give all its 94,000 employees a new Windows 8 computer, new Windows Phone 8 device, and new Microsoft Surface tablet.
What Steve Ballmer said
According to Lou Gellos, Microsoft's director of corporate communications, “Steve Ballmer acknowledged that Microsoft is on the eve of one of its greatest moments as it prepares to ship a remarkable lineup of devices and services.” He further added, “In order to make sure that employees have the latest and best technology to both be more productive and to be great evangelists, he announced that they would receive a new Windows 8 PC to replace their current work device, a new Windows 8 phone and a Microsoft Surface RT.”
Benefits of giving Windows 8 devices to employees
According to analysts, this move by Microsoft demonstrates its confidence in the upcoming platforms and software. The following benefits can be outlined:
- It will develop loyalty and goodwill among employees.
- It will allow Microsoft to perform a real-time test of its manufacturing and distribution channels.
- Microsoft will be able to demonstrate that Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 are ready for enterprise customers.
- Giving devices to a huge number of employees will in turn give huge exposure and word-of-mouth marketing. This will prove useful to the company than buying any other advertising space.
- This strategy will build more excitement for the upcoming products.
Will this gamble work well for Microsoft? Let’s know your thoughts on this in the comments below.
Image Source: Microsoft