Fix: USB Device not Working Problem in Windows 8
You may have noticed that sometimes when you plug a device into your Windows 8 based computer, a message pops up saying that the “USB Device is Not Recognized”. This means that the USB device is not detected by your Windows 8 based computer. You can follow the instructions in this write-up and to troubleshoot the issue with your USB device.
- Type Device Manager from the Start Menu to open the Windows 8 Search Charm. Now select Device Manager from the search results.
- When the Device Manager window opens up, double click on the Universal Serial Bus Controllers to expand the list.
- Now right click on the first USB Root Hub that appears on the list and select Uninstall.
- Continue with the uninstall process of all the USB Root Hubs that are listed.
- Close the Device Manager after all the USB Root Hubs are uninstalled and then Restart the computer.
- By following the manufacturer provided instructions, install the software of the USB device.
- Now connect the USB device to the computer and check if it works properly.
This should typically fix the issue for you. However, if the problem still persists, continue with the following steps:-
- Open the Device Manager again following the same steps as mentioned above.
- When the Device Manager opens, find the name of your device on the list or you may find these:-
- Unknown Device – This means that a driver is not installed or was not correctly set up. Unplug the device and then right click on Unknown Device. Now select Uninstall. Then restart the computer and install the device as per manufacturer’s instructions. If this process doesn’t work then go to Windows Update and check for Updates and install all the recommended and optional driver updates. If the problem still persists, use the Microsoft System Restore to move back to a time before the installation of the device.
- Other Device - This means that the USB ports are working properly but the device drivers need to be installed. In such case, you need to unplug the USB device and wait for around twenty seconds. Then install the drivers of the device as per the instructions of the manufacturer. If the problem still remains, use the Microsoft System Restore and move to a time before the first installation of this device.
- Device Name is shown – This means that the basic plug-and-play and the USB ports are working properly, but there is a physical problem with the device or there are device driver issues. For troubleshooting this issue do the following:-
- Plug the USB device after restarting the computer.
- Now disconnect the device, uninstall the device’s software and reinstall it.
- Connect the device, right-click on the name of the device in Device Manager and then select Uninstall. Unplug the device after the name is removed and restart the computer. Now try installing the device again.
- If problem still persists, use the Microsoft System Restore as suggested earlier.
- Device is not listed – If the USB device is not listed then continue reading…
Windows does not detect USB device
If your USB device is not detected by your Windows 8, then
- Restart the computer.
- Plug in the device to your computer and wait for some time. If the USB device is not recognized, unplug the device and follow the next steps.
- Open Device Manager and double click on the Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
- Now double click on a USB Root Hub and click on the Power tab. Then click on the Power Properties. This will show the details of the power used by each connected device. If the device uses power over 500mA, then remove it and use a powered hub.
- Look at each of the power properties of the USB hub and check that it doesn’t exceed the total power available for the hub. If it does, remove a device to lower the power.
- Plug in the device now and wait for it to get detected. If not, continue with the next step.
- Remove all high speed USB cables that are over three meters long and use shorter cables.
- If the problem is with the USB port, plug the device into a different USB port. If the device is displayed in the Device Manager after the cable is plugged in a different port then uninstall and reinstall the device software driver.
- If the device still fails to display or get detected on your Windows 8 based computer then consult the manufacturer of the device.
Alternatively, call iYogi tech experts to provide you instant tech assistance.