Windows 8.1: Easy DIY solutions to resolve Wi-Fi Connectivity Problems!
Is your desktop running Windows 8.1 operating system, showing ‘Limited Wi-Fi connectivity’ or ‘No Internet access’ messages as you try to connect to the network? Do you need step-by-step solutions to fix these so that you retain your browsing experience on Windows 8.1? It’s a common Windows 8.1 issue which occurs mostly after updating Windows 8 with Windows 8.1 update. So, you needn’t worry as the below given Do-It-Yourself (DIY) solutions can help you fix the problem, in no time.
Here’s the list of possible causes for the Wi-Fi connectivity problem and their fixes:
Reset TCP/IP Stack and Auto-tuning
Causes behind the irresponsive Wi-Fi connection can be many and one of them can also be mis-configured TCP/IP settings. Resetting or auto tuning through the Microsoft Windows’s Net Shell utility can help you validate the cause. Below given steps will help you with the same:
- Go to the ‘Charms’ bar and click on the ‘Search’ icon and type in ‘Command Prompt’ in the search box.
- Right-click on the search result and choose to ‘Run as administrator’.
- Now, type the command ‘NETSH INT IP RESET C:\RESTLOG.TXT’ and hit the ‘Enter’ key.
- To disable the Windows Scaling heuristics, type the command ‘NETSH INT TCP SET HEURISTICS DISABLED’ and hit the ‘Enter’ key.
- In the next step, to disable TCP/IP Auto tuning, type ‘NETSH INT TCP SET GLOBAL AUTOTUNINGLEVEL=DISABLED’ command and hit the ‘Enter’ key.
- Now, to enable RSS, type ‘NETSH INT TCP SET GLOBAL RSS=ENABLED’ command and hit the ‘Enter’ key.
Windows has the ability to change the TCP auto-tuning level on its own, which eventually results in the failed network connection. But with the above given commands, Windows behavior to alter the TCP settings would stop.
Wi-Fi Power Option
On occasions when the system is left idle, it is instructed to turn off the Wi-Fi adapter, which can definitely be the reason for your spoiled wireless connection. To fix the problem, it is required to deactivate this feature of Windows 8.1. Here are the steps to do so:
- To bring the Start Search option on your PC, press Windows key + W on your keyboard.
- Now, in the Search box, type ‘Network and Sharing Center’ and hit the ‘Enter’ key to open its window.
- In the ‘Network and Sharing Center’ window, choose your ‘Wi-Fi network’ to view the ‘Wi-Fi status’ screen.
- Click the ‘Properties’ button given at the bottom of the window to open its properties window.
- In the ‘Wi-Fi Properties’ window, click the button named ‘Configure’.
- Now, go to the ‘Power Management’ tab, uncheck the box given next to ‘Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power’ and hit the ‘OK’ button.
With the enabled Energy Saving option, Windows computer can automatically turn off the system. It is likely that this can happen even while you are trying to connect to your Wi-Fi network. Disabling the option will at least eliminate this problem.
Reinstall the adapter
If your PC is already installed with the manufacture’s device drivers for network adapters rather than Microsoft, you may need to uninstall it and then reinstall the drivers. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open the ‘Device Manager’ window and expand the ‘Network adapter’ category given on the window.
- Right-click on the item named ‘Wireless connection’, and click the ‘Uninstall’ option.
- Now, ‘restart’ your computer as restarting the system will automatically install the driver.
- But, if it doesn’t do so, go to the ‘Device Manager’ window and right-click on the ‘username’ given on the top of the list and then click to ‘Scan for hardware changes’.
- Here, your system will automatically recognize the missing drivers.
- Now, follow the instructions given on the ‘Driver Software Installation’ wizard to setup the network adapter.
- Once you are done, restart the computer and see if it resolves your problem.
These are some of the possible causes and their fixes to help you resolve the problem of ‘Limited Wi-Fi connectivity’ or ‘No Internet access’ issues on your Windows 8.1 PC. However, if these solutions do not resolve your problem or you are getting stuck somewhere while following these steps, don’t panic; just call iYogi technicians for quick fixes. Our iYogi technicians can help you diagnose and resolve connectivity problems, configure devices and settings and a lot more at the most affordable costs. Call us anytime for instant technical support.