Windows 8: Troubleshoot Missing DLL Files Errors
DLL, stand for Dynamic Link Library; and, as the name suggests, these are important files for Windows.
Though these files are not directly visible, they are important for all other applications that run on your system.
What does a DLL file do?
DLL Files provide certain basic underlying functionality that is needed by other software to run successfully. In simpler words, a DLL file provides functions that can be called upon by other executable files. Though the basic idea of DLL files is to simplify the application creation, development and functioning; on the contrary, it can also get a little nasty if things went the other way round. So, if you are facing a missing DLL file error message, splashed across your screen, don’t fret yet; browse through the below to troubleshoot the issue…
Common causes for DLL Files errors
Here’s the list of causes due to which DLL file errors, such as ‘missing DLL error’ occur:
- When any newly installed application replaces a DLL with an older version
- Overwriting of a new version of DLL file
- If a shared DLL is deleted at the time of uninstalling an application
- Faulty hard disk drives or malfunctioning memory, corrupt registry, and problems in various applications
- Infestation by malicious software, especially spyware
These are some of the possible reasons behind DLL files error like ‘Missing DLL’ or ‘DLL Not Found’.
Solution to the Problem
Depending on the reason due to which you encountered ‘Missing DLL’ file or ‘DLL Not Found’ error, apply the following fixes n order to fix the problem. Here’s how it goes:
Restart your computer
If you find that the problem that’s causing the DLL error is just a temporary one, restarting the computer is all that you may typically need to fix it. If restarting does not resolve your problem, try applying the below given method.
Restore deleted DLL File from the Recycle Bin
It can be possible only if the DLL Files were deleted accidentally. In such cases, you can easily retrieve your files from the Recycle Bin. Check out the steps here:
- Open the Recycle Bin by double-clicking or double-tapping on its icon available on the desktop.
- Locate and then select whatever files or folders you need to restore.
- Keep a note of the original location of the files you are restoring; this will make it easier for you to locate them later on.
- Right-click on the selected files and then choose ‘Restore’.
- Wait while Recycle Bin restores the deleted files.
The time taken by the Recycle Bin depends on the number of files you are restoring, how large they are in size, your computer’s speed and so on...
Recover the deleted file using a file recovery program
It proves helpful in cases when you suspect that not only have you accidentally deleted the files, but have also removed them from the Recycle Bin. In such cases, a file recovery program can prove to be a helpful solution. There are number of free data recovery software tools, such as – Recuva, Puran File Recovery, Disk Drill and many more to name. You can download and run any of these recovery programs to retrieve your deleted files. Like with other third-party tools, the genuineness of the programs cannot be guaranteed.
Run Virus/Malware scan on your system
DLL files errors, such as ‘DLL is missing’ and ‘DLL not Found’ are also related to hostile programs that masquerade as DLL files. Here are the steps to fix the same:
- Update the already installed antivirus/antimalware software on your PC.
- Ensure that the virus definitions are up to date as these updates help your antivirus software in finding and removing the latest viruses from your PC.
- Now, run a complete virus scan on your PC
Scanning will bring out the details of infected files and folder, making it easier for you to detect and restore your DLL files.
System Restore to undo recent system changes
If you suspect that the DLL Files error was caused after a change made either to the registry or other system configuration on your Windows 8 PC, then a System Restore can restore your system to a point where the changes were not applied and can also resolve the DLL error.
Update drivers for hardware related to the DLL error
You may need to update drivers for any hardware that is related to the DLL File error. For instance, if you encounter an error ‘Missing DLL’ while working on your printer, then updating the printer drivers may resolve your problem. Here are the steps to update drivers in Windows 8 or 8.1:
- Go to the ‘Control Panel’ and select ‘Click to open Device Manager’.
- Under the ‘Device Manager’ section, click on the icon to open the category that you think contains the device you want to update the drivers for.
- Once you have discovered the device you are updating the drivers for, right-click on the hardware’s name and choose ‘Update Driver Software’ option.
- Now, the Update Driver Software wizard will begin; keep following the onscreen prompts until you get to see ‘Finish’.
Updating the device driver should help you in restoring your file. If not, then check out the below given steps.
Clean installation of Windows
A clean install of Windows will erase everything from the hard drive and install a fresh copy of Windows. Erasing everything can also fix DLL error. Here are the steps to perform clean installation of Windows 8:
- Before starting a clean installation, do remember to back up your important data and locate your ‘Product Key’, which will be required in the process.
- Now, insert the Windows 8 DVD into your optical drive and turn on or restart the computer.
- Look out for the message ‘Press any key to boot from CD or DVD’ as you are booting from a disc.
- Now, hit any key to force your computer to boot from the Windows 8 DVD.
- Keep following the onscreen prompts until the installation process finishes.
- Now, restart the PC and you will find a new Windows 8 operating system with no errors flashing across it.
Performing a clean installation should be the last option on your list as it removes everything from your system and installs a fresh Windows 8 operating system.
Applying one of the above solutions should be able fix the issue for you. If these steps still aren’t able to resolve your problem, don’t worry; just get expert help from iYogi tech experts and enjoy the best solutions to your PC problems and that too in the shortest possible time.