Ultimate tips to optimize Windows 8 and speed up your PCBy Nidhi ,Wednesday, January 30th, 2013
Windows 8 comes with advanced features which give you superior performance in terms of speed, reliability, and security. However, over a period of time, the system’s processing may slow down due to various factors. You can optimize the Windows 8 settings to improve the efficiency. So, here are four ways by which you can optimize the speed of your Windows 8-based computer.
Defragment the hard drive
If your Windows 8 PC takes longer than usual to open or save files, it could be due to fragmentation of the hard drive. Let’s understand what exactly disk fragmentation is and how to fix this issue. As you save more and more files and download applications on the hard drive, the disk becomes fragmented.
So, when you make changes to a file, they are stored in a location different from the original file. This increases the time taken by the computer to open files as it has to access different places on the hard disk. Windows 8 offers you the Disk Defragmenter tool with which you can optimize the hard drive. Just follow the steps given here for defragmentation on a Windows 8-based PC.
1. First of all, open the ‘Search’ charm: Move the mouse pointer into the upper-right or lower-right corner of the screen to display the Charms bar and click the ‘Search’ option. On a touch-screen display, swipe in from the right edge to display the Charms bar and click ‘Search’.
2. Now enter ‘Defragment’ and tap or click ‘Defragment and optimize your drives’.
3. In the ‘Optimize Drives’ dialog box, select the type of drive you want to optimize under the option ‘Media Type’.
4. Tap or click the ‘Optimize’ button.
5. Follow the on-screen instructions to start the optimization process that may take several minutes to finish.
Here’s a video describing the steps to run Disk Defragmenter in Windows 8:
Configure programs that load automatically as your PC starts
Windows 8 was designed for faster booting as compared to earlier versions of Windows. However, if your Windows 8-based PC boots slowly, it could be because of unnecessary programs loading automatically during system startup. With a few simple steps, you can enable or disable these programs as per your requirements.
1. Right-click the taskbar and click ‘Task Manager’ from the menu.
2. Click the ‘More Details’ toggle button to display the extended Task Manager.
3. Click the ‘Startup’ tab to views programs and services that load during booting.
4. Select a program from the list and click ‘Disable’ to stop it from running during startup.
Windows 8 can also be booted in Safe Mode, which enables you to troubleshoot various issues.
Scan your computer with Windows Defender
If malicious programs such as viruses and Trojans infect your computer, the system won’t function properly. The applications will hang quite often and the speed is adversely affected. Windows 8 and Windows RT come with Windows Defender and Windows SmartSceen to secure your PC from malware in real time. Windows Defender automatically alerts you when a suspicious file is detected. You can also run a manual scan of your PC for the detection and removal of malware.
Remove junk files by running the Windows Disk Cleanup utility
Run your PC faster by deleting the junk files which you no longer require. All you need to do is to run the Disk Cleanup utility in Windows 8 by following the steps given here:
1. Display the Charms bar and click the ‘Search’ option.
2. Enter ‘Disk Cleanup’ in the ‘Search’ box and then click or tap ‘Settings’ followed by ‘Free up disk space by deleting unnecessary files’.
3. Select the drive that you want to clean up and then click ‘Ok’. This will display the ‘Disk Cleanup’ dialog box.
4. Select the check boxes for the different types of files to be deleted. Click ‘Ok’.
5. Now click the option ‘Delete Files’.