Using Advanced Startup Options in Windows 8
Advanced Startup Option (ASO) also referred to as the Boot Options menu is an improvised centralized menu that allows a user to use different features. The features that can be used through Advanced Startup Option in Windows 8 are recovery, repair and troubleshooting.
Here is a simple guide to help you restart your computer in Advanced Startup Option –
- Go to the Windows 8 ‘Start Screen’ and type ‘Advanced’.
- Click on ‘Settings’ in the search results.
- Now, select the option ‘Advanced Startup Options’. Selecting this option will take you to the ‘General PC Settings’ screen.
- On the ‘General PC Settings’ screen, scroll down to ‘Advanced startup’ option.
- Click on the ‘Restart now’ button that is available under the ‘Advanced startup’ option.
Once you have clicked on the ‘Restart now’ button, Windows 8 will restart the computer directly in the Advanced Startup Options menu. In the menu screen you will be asked to select one of the below options to continue. The options available on this screen are–
- Continue - Selecting this option will let you continue the Advanced Startup Option menu screen and will start Windows 8 normally.
- Troubleshoot – Selecting this option will let you access the repair tools to recover or troubleshoot Windows 8. This option will give you three choices –
- Refresh your PC – Use this option to revive it without losing your files.
- Reset your PC – If you want to remove all your files, you can reset your PC completely.
- Advanced Options – This gives you the options for System Restore, System Image Recovery, Automatic Repair, Command Prompt and Startup Settings.
- Turn Off your PC – Selecting this option will turn off the PC.
- Use a Device – Selecting this will assist you to specify devices like USB drive or a DVD, which you can use for booting the computer.
- Use another operating system – If in case your computer has multiple operating systems and you wish to switch to an OS other than the one you are presently using, select this option. This will display a menu on the screen listing the operating systems that you have installed; choose the one you wish to switch to and that’s it!
With these simple to use Advanced Startup Options you can effortlessly recover, repair and troubleshoot your Windows 8-based PC. If by using these options you are able to troubleshoot the errors, you won’t have to contemplate switching to a different operating system.