How to boot up a PC using a CD in Windows 8?
There are situations when you need to install Windows 8 on your computer-
- You have bought a new desktop/laptop with no installed operating system,
- You have uninstalled the current version of Windows OS,
- You want to upgrade the installed Windows OS to Windows 8,
- You need to format the PC and reinstall it with Windows 8, or
- Your PC is facing issues while operating and you want to access the recovery options
Though you can upgrade your current OS to Windows 8 from Microsoft’s upgrade tool, yet if you want to clean install your PC, you should install it using the Windows installation disc.
Before installing Windows 8 on your current PC, check the system requirements for running Windows 8. Your computer must have-
- 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor with support for PAE, NX, and SSE2
- 1 GB RAM for 32-bit or 2 GB RAM 64-bit
- 16 GB for 32-bit or 20 GB 64-bit hard disk space
- Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver
If your PC is fulfilling the above requirements, you can easily boot up your PC using a Windows 8 CD or DVD. Before you begin, make sure that you have a genuine Windows 8 CD. If you are reinstalling Windows on your old computer, take a backup of your important data and files on a hard disk.
Also, save the necessary drivers and software setups from the manufacturer’s website or the PC itself. It is a good time-saving tip!
Follow the steps below to boot your computer using a CD for Windows 8:
- BIOS Setup- BIOS takes care of the boot up. Open the boot menu or change the boot order of BIOS of your PC and set to CD-ROM/DVD-ROM. This will make the CD or DVD appear in the list when your PC is ready to boot.
- Insert the Windows 8 CD in the disc drive of your computer/laptop and restart your PC.
- When you start up the process, you may get an instruction stating “Press any key to boot from CD or DVD…”. Press any key on the keyboard within a few seconds to boot from the disc.
- If your PC is not able to boot from the CD and starts normally with the current version Windows installed on your PC, change the boot order before the PC starts.
- Restart the PC again and immediately press a combination of keys like F2, F12, Delete, Esc when you insert the Windows 8 CD. This will give you the option to choose to boot from an external drive.
- Your computer will start booting from Windows 8 CD and a Windows installer screen will come.
- Follow the tips on the installer guide to install Windows 8 or choose the recovery option to recover your PC.
Your PC will restart several times during the installing process. In case, you choose to install Windows 8, ensure that you select the right settings and enter the correct product key while installing. Carefully decide whether you want to do drive partition or not. Ideally you should divide a drive in two or more drives. If you’re formatting the drive, take a backup if you don’t want to delete any important file. After Windows 8 is installed on your PC, check if you can connect it to the Internet.
Now install the necessary drivers on your PC from the manufacturer’s website or from the backup files that you’ve copied earlier.
If you’re trying to restore your PC to a previous point using the Windows 8 CD, install the updates once you are done with the system recovery. You should also scan your PC for virus, malware or any spyware to ensure that the PC works well in future.
Following the steps should enable you to boot up your PC using the Windows 8 CD. In case, you are still facing some issue or have any doubt, you can call iYogi for 24x7 tech support. iYogi provides remote tech support to fix problems related to PC, laptop, smartphones, tablet and other devices.