Change File Association Windows 8: An Overview
Whenever, you install a new (Metro) app or (desktop) application, it will require the registry for opening particular file types on your computer. However, if you try to open a file after completing the installation of its application, it will open with the earlier connected apps. For example: You have downloaded VLC Media Player that is compatible for playing different types of video files. But when you play a video, it plays with earlier connected applications like QuickTime or some other.
No matter which apps or applications you wish to use and for whatever reason, Windows 8 gives users the choice between Metro style app and Desktop applications, which includes a number of latest file associations. Change File Association is used for apps or applications for opening specific file types in Windows 8.
Now, you can easily change file association in Windows 8 with simple and basic techniques. So, while VLC media player is set as a default program on your Windows 8-based PC, you can still use other applications for opening particular file types and even set one as a default program.
- Click on ‘My Computer’ and then click on ‘Control Panel’.
- In the ‘Control Panel’ click on ‘Default Programs’
- Now, click on the ‘Select your default program’ option and start selecting the default program or application that you wish to use with particular file types.
- Once you have selected the program or the application, click on ‘Select this program as default’. Selecting this option will use the selected program for opening particular type of files in the selected program or application by default.
- Now, you will be asked to select the extensions that you wish to open in the program by default.
- As you have made the required changes, click on the ‘Save’ button. This will save the changes and whenever you open the file it will open in the program that you have selected as default.
With these simple and easy to use steps, you can effortlessly change the file association in Windows 8 and can enjoy your preferred programs for opening particular file formats instantly.