Windows 8: Turn Windows Features on and off
Windows 8 is undoubtedly full of awesome features and some handy shortcuts. You might want to experience how these Window features perform on your PC and for it you need to ensure that these features are turned on.
Programs and features included with Windows, such as Internet Information Services, must be turned on before you can use them. The other features of Windows are turned on by default, but if you don’t want to use them, you can turn them off.
One thing that you need to know is that some Windows features are grouped together in folders, and some folders contain sub folders with additional features. If a check box is partially checked or is dimmed, then some of the items inside the folder are turned on and some are turned off. So, it is recommended to view the content of the folder and then perform the action accordingly.
Turning off a feature, doesn’t mean that the feature has been uninstalled from your PC or turning it off would reduce the amount of hard drive space used by it. You can turn it back on at any time as and when you want to use that feature.
Here are the steps to guide you through the process of turning on and off a feature in Windows 8. Here’s how it goes:
- Move the mouse pointer to the top right corner of the screen and slide it down to access the charms bar.
- Click on the ‘Search’ charm.
- Type ‘Control Panel’ in the search field and click on it when it shows up in the search results.
- In the Control Panel, click on ‘Programs’ and then click ‘Programs and Features’.
- In the left pane, click ‘Turn windows features on or off’.
- Check or uncheck the box corresponding to the feature you want to enable or disable and click OK.
- Wait for the changes to be applied and click ‘Restart now’ when you see the prompt.
See, how easy it is to turn on and off a feature in Windows 8. You can also go through our video solution that is posted below for better understanding about the steps. Click on play option to watch the video now.